Tuesday, August 3, 2010

In the eyes of some Danish

"A CITIZEN NEEDS TO REGISTER TO VOTE??!!"

Last week, I met a very friendly Danish couple and their young adult daughter over a lovely dinner. When we got to dessert, the conversation led to Malaysia, our democracy, and voting system.

Danish Mum: *shock on her face* You need to register to vote???

Danish Dad: *another shocked expression* Isn't it automatic as I understand every Malaysian citizen has an identity card?

Danish 19-yr old: *confused look* After my 18th birthday, I received a letter telling me I am now eligible to vote. In school, I was taught that it is very important to vote. I cannot understand why a citizen should need to register when it is a citizen's right and if so, why doesn't every Malaysian just go and register when they can?

Imagine how dumbfounded I was at their queries. Dumbfounded and a little embarrassed. All I could utter sheepishly was "this is the Election Commission's process".

I think I've said enough. Please register to vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment